Friday 10 August 2012

CLIVE WAKES-MILLER


           After qualifying, my first medical responsibilities were at St Richard’s, Chichester in the A & E department. We were often involved in rescuing sailors from the Solent or racing drivers from Goodwood.

            Following that I had a brief encounter with academia on the professorial unit at Sheffield Children’s Hospital. I found this to be an emotional strain and the intensity required was not for me, but that life as a country GP had an appeal which has lasted.

            I was in practice in Bedfordshire for twenty years and then went to a practice in Lincolnshire which I developed from a single-handed practice.    General Practice in rural England has been enjoyable.    Living in a small community has advantages and disadvantages.    The line between private and professional life becomes blurred and can put pressure on the family.

             In the early 70s I was involved in sports medicine and became the Medical Officer for the local steeplechase course at Huntingdon. I was soon made aware as to why the horse is called the most dangerous animal in the UK.    Following this I have been involved in many other sports; women’s hockey, boxing, squash and handball which involved several enjoyable trips abroad.

            Since retiring in ’97 I have been active as a trustee for the Wildlife Trust in Norfolk, encouraging the acquisition and management of Wildlife centres together with teaching town children the wonders of nature.    I married Alison in 1966 and we now have ten grandchildren scattered throughout the world.    I am waiting the visit of the next grandchild to help me with my computer.

                                                                       
                  Since 1966, I have kept bees and I now work 30 hives .I have always been aware of the possibility of using bees as environmental monitors and have become interested in the neurotoxic effects of insecticides on social insects.    Consequently wherever I have travelled it has been interesting talking to local beekeepers.    The International Beekeeper's biannual conferences have been thought-provoking.

                                                                             
              I am looking forward to seeing everybody at the lunch.         Clive Wakes-Miller.

                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment